Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Enough is enough

I don't live in California, and quite frankly, I'm glad right now. I have many friends who are homosexual (c'mon, I went to a liberal arts school as a music major...it was bound to happen!). I know that in 2004's election I voted for gay marriage. I don't know how I would have voted this year if I did live in CA because I'm conflicted majorly on the issue. On the one hand, I am a firm believer in my church, which does not support gay marriage. On the other hand, I don't want to tell other people what they can and can not do. I think it's kind of unreasonable to allow straight couples to marry and divorce like it's going out of style and then not allow gays the same privilege. I think there should either be WAY stricter regulations on marriage (like there being a limit to how many times a person could marry and get divorced) or gays should be allowed to get married and divorced like the rest of us "normal" (yeah right, like any of us are really normal) people. Anyway, I'm not sure what I'm trying to say other than the fact that people are protesting against my faith is kind of ridiculous. Yes, the Mormon church did heavily support Prop. 8. Yes, they did ask for volunteers to do a grassroots campaign. But it's kind of silly to focus on my church and forget the other institutions that did the same thing. What about the Catholics? What about the Knights of Columbus? What about the Union of Orthodox Jewish Congregations of America? What about the many many other organizations that also supported Propositon 8?
I think it's kind of hypocritical to call the Mormons a faith of hate and to picket our churches, temples, and other places of importance to us. I have read some of the backlash from the gay community and the hate coming from them right now is so heated. So we are full of hate, but it's ok for you to hate us? Come on now. It's not as if it was Mormons alone who passed that proposition. California doesn't even make the top 10 in states with the highest percent of the population being Mormon. As of 1990 (sorry, I couldn't find anything more recent but I doubt it's changed that much) the Mormon percentage was a whopping 1.79%. Yeah.....compare that to the 53% of votes that made Proposition 8 pass.
So anyway, I don't care if you picket against my church as long as you're not only protesting us. Focus on some of the other people too, please. Sharing is good for everyone!

No comments: