Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Results #2

When I got up this morning, I was really hoping that I would find out what the results of my biopsy were. From there, we would be able to decide what needs to be done, whether it is continue on medication or surgery or whatnot. Well, I got to my appointment this morning and when the doctor came in, he got on his computer to see what was going on. He then spent a couple of minutes reading what was on the screen, and I knew that the results wouldn't be good. When he finally started to talk, he said that the results came back exactly the same as before. Mostly normal cells, but some atypical cells as well. Then we started talking about my options. Basically, I could go ahead and have surgery to have the lump (and possibly my thyroid) removed, or I can have another biopsy to see if this time it will be conclusive. I opted for the third biopsy because I don't want to have surgery unless it is absolutely necessary. So I get to wait until April 12 so I can make sure my thyroid is healed from the second biopsy because if you do it right away it can skew the results. After April 12, I'll have to wait another 3 weeks so I can get the results again.
On the bright side, the doctor said that since I got the exact same results this time that the lab isn't going to charge me. I don't know if that is going to apply to the entire procedure or just the lab results, but either way I'm saving several hundred dollars. I also lost 2 pounds since my last appointment 3 weeks ago and my blood pressure was 112/72. So that's good anyway.

1 comment:

Desiree said...

Katie, I hate that you are having to go through this! Keep us updated and I will keep you in my prayers.